Thursday, October 19, 2017

Rainforest Nostalgia

 Puerto Rico became my home after my parents moved us to the island when I was a teenager. Getting used to the island and its nuances with my own country, Dominican Republic was rocky at first, but it got better with time. Because my parents still live there, Puerto Rico is home. My friends from college still live there and where I want to go whenever I have time off. 

It’s called the Enchanted Island for a reason, it has everything you can imagine, from mountains, to forests, to beaches, and some of my friends describe it as “what they think Eden was like before everything went down.” 

The last time I went, I collaborated with Actress and Dancer Mariana Quiles. We went to El Yunque Rainforest, and of course, it was heavily raining, harder than usual, but we made the best out of the situation and created images in the rain.

Hurricane Maria made a mess of El Yunque, the rainforest has few trees standing right now, and it will take a time for it to look as luscious as it was when I made these pictures, so I wanted to work on them to remember how green, beautiful, and magical this place is. 






































15 comments:

  1. What stunning, vibrant colors! I love the lush green. My favorite shots are close ups of the ballet shoes! Great job, I loved the composition of all these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are stunning! I have never been there, but it is now on my bucket list. What an amazing place and it is awful how much it has had to endure with the hurricane recently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sense of adventure in these! So playful and fun! And wow! What an opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! These are absolutely gorgeous pictures. I have to visit this place, and I hope it makes a quick recovery. What a great way to honor such a special place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is s a place that I'd love to visit one day. What beautiful shots! Her ballet technique is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohmygosh, I love that pop of red against the green rainforest! The lighting is pure magic too, you did so good on these!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how fun and spunky this is! What a great concept!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just talking about Puerto Rico the other day and how I wish we could do more for each other in support. We are so much better together, right? Anyway, as a dancer I really connected to this post. And as a woman I really loved the emotion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...these are amazing! I especially love the ones in the red dress because I think that pop of color in the green rainforest is just gorgeous! I'm so sad that the hurricane destroyed so many of the trees :(

    It looks like you had a lot of fun doing this project and I love how creative you were able to get with it! Beautiful images :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The photos are stunning! Talk about turning a bummer of a situation (rain + a photo shoot) into something truly magical. I can't get over the vibrance of the colors in her outfits and the red(!) with the long train. So unexpected and so very lovely all at the same time. Nicely done! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful tribute to the lusciousness of Puerto Rico! It's so sad to hear of the hurricane devastation. :( It's a perfect time to work on a session like this; great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos and the scenery. I always wanted to do a shoot in the rain but I was too scared that my gear would get damaged by the rain. Hope your camera is waterproof :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sorry about the devastation in puerto rico! these photos are a beautiful tribute. i love the power behind them and the bright colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These images tell a absolutely beautiful story! I love the red dress in the green forest. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds amazing! Seriously makes me want to visit. And the pictures are beautiful! Such an incredible tribute.

    ReplyDelete